MediaScapes are popular visual guides to a growing range of media channels including digital, tv, outdoor & cinema.
FOR MARKETERS & AD PLANNERS/BUYERS...
FOR MEDIA OWNERS & AD SELLERS...
- Sales Tips & Guides
- Advertising Sales
- Upload Directory Listings
- Tailored Services - MediaScope helps media owners build revenue by developing all segments of their advertising sales process
Hot Tips for Cold Calling
Cold calling can be a highly successful tactic to build your client base, grow new business or maybe you have a specific feature or sponsorship to sell. Here are some tips to make this process both easier and more successful....
- Be well prepared. Being well prepared not only enables you to make more targeted and professional calls but also increases your confidence
- Do you have an understanding of the products and services of the businesses you're calling? Be prepared for this question from the people you're calling - how do you see a fit between our businesses?
- Is your media business ready for the sale? Apply best practice to your advertising sales processes - see our Top Tips here
- Have your calling list ready for the day - sounds simple but have your daily list of businesses, contact names and phone numbers ready to go
- Follow up quickly - have information and collateral up to date and ready to send - don't lose the momentum you've just created
- Cold call regularly - keep your cold calling 'muscle' fit and strong. You'll be a more confident and effective cold caller the more you do it. Set asideat least a small amount of time each week - there's always someone new to call.
- Keep a record and know your cold calling ratios - Keep a record of who you've called, who you need to call back, your dials to conversations, conversations to meetings, meetings to proposals, proposals to deals etc. You may have a CRM system where this information can be recorded. You'll soon realise like any sales tactic it becomes a numbers game and useful trends will start to emerge.
- Ask if you can add them to your newsletter data base - you do send a regular newsletter to your advertisers don't you?
- Get yourself in the zone - Set up your calling station with everything you need from water to pen and pad (even if it's just to doodle). A headset may suit you. You may be more comfortable if you can walk around while you're on the phone - that's fine but make sure you have space to do this without disturbing others.
- Set a dedicated time for cold calling - Avoid nuisance interruptions. These will ruin your flow and distract you from this most important of selling activities… Divert calls, turn off your email and ask colleagues not to interrupt you when you are on the phone.
- Celebrate and keep past success in mind - give yourself a little reward when you do well - even if it's just telling yourself how great you are. Keep these successes in mind. This will help you to think positively and feeling more confident.
- Continually ask yourself, “What can I do better next time?” The only way you will learn from your mistakes is to make some. Practice doesn't make perfect but it will certainly help. Look for areas to improve your cold calling technique.
- Have a sense of humour. Have fun with the people you are calling, show your natural passion and people skills - and be up and positive. Some people will respond very well to this - even if they say no to your sales proposition. Others won't - but that's there problem.
- Get your crash helmet on, strap yourself in and get ready for some fun!
Inspired by: Love Media Sales
Other Pages of Interest
Media and Advertising - Search, Combine and Refine
- Are You Looking for Advertising Sales Representation?
- Creative Ideas to Inspire
- Must Read Advertising & Media Books
- Media Planning & Buying Campaign Checklist
- Census Stats all Marketers & Agencies Should Know
- 'MediaScape' - Guide to Aust Digital Media Trading Landscape
- Must Follow Twitter Accounts
- Questions All Advertisers Should Ask
- Finding Advertising Sales Specialists
- Women in Media Profile: Mia Freedman
- CLICK HERE For More Articles & Guides
- IABAust - Digital Media Sales Training - Sydney May 22 & 29.
- Internet Business Implementation - Centre for Continuing Education, University of Sydney, May 30
- mUmbrella360 - Reserve the dates of June 5 & 6 & submit your best pitch now.
- ADMA - courses in major cities throughout the year
- More Events, Workshops & Courses HERE
- Advertising Centre - comprehensive guides, resources, profiles & tips for agencies, marketers, media owners & ad sales specialists including Ad Sales Centre & Ad Buying Centre
- Media View - a growing range of opinion articles on advertising, media & publishing
- Consultancy Service - MediaScope's tailored services - helping media owners generate advertising sales revenue
- Media In Focus - over 100 Q&A profiles with Aust's most successful media owners, advertising professionals & 'women in media'
- Products & Services - broad range of products & services aimed at the media, ad, publishing & media market
- Best Advertising Books - browse & buy our pick of the best books on advertising, sales & marketing
- MediaScope in the News - articles & interviews
- CLICK HERE For More Resources
- SUBSCRIBE to MediaScope's weekly newsletter